Saturday, September 15, 2007

Brutal.

The one word text from KP summed it up entirely. It was brutal. I watched the first four innings or so from my couch and then checked in sporatically at the one real bar in North Carolina. I had a strange sense of uneasyness the entire time. But a 6 run lead in the 8th? I'll take it. Now, I have a confession to make. This loss was my fault. Last night, I was chatting with a very attractive young gentleman who was a friend of a friend. He was from Connecticut and was...a Yankees fan.

Obviously I had to have a little fun with him. I told him that he should really go check the score for me and was telling him how those Tigers are fiesty and that he better watch out or they'll be watching October at home, I told him I was really sad when the Yankees traded my favorite player, to which he said, "um, you mean Johnny Damon?", to which I replied, "You signed Johnny Damon...you traded Scott Proctor, who was my favorite pitcher in any bullpen" Yes, I counted my proverbial eggs before they hatched. I told him how Dice-K is a big game pitcher and how the best bullpen in baseball was in the game. I told him 6 and a 1/2 game lead with two weeks to go isn't going to be easy. I was cocky. And then VAYF (very attractive Yankee fan) got a text and went outside to read it because there is terrible service at the bar. I knew this was bad. I went to the one crappy little TV that had the game on and almost threw up on myself when I saw the score.

Despite this game now being a car accident (I didn't want to look but I had to) I had to stand in front of this little TV in a really bad spot with VAYF with my neck at a really uncomfortable angle. They were all zoomed in on Mo who was trying to close out the game, I told VAYF Mo was my favorite closer in the 2004 ALCS. He winced and said, "That hurts". I smiled. We may have lost last night, and it may have hurt. But at least, no matter what happens in the future. We'll always have 2004.

No comments: