Thursday, July 12, 2007

Road Trip: Toronto

Sunday morning, we got up at 7:30, d-r-a-g-g-i-n-g and finally hit the road about 9. We got to the hotel in Toronto, the Holiday Inn on King Street about 1:30 after a wrong turn or two. If you ever go to Toronto, I highly recommend the HI on KSt. It’s nice, is right near both the Air Canada Center and Rogers Center, and has a sweet pool on the 16th floor. We went to Toronto for two reason, one, so Kerry and Colleen could cross the Rogers Center off their list of parks to go to, and two, TROT.

We arrived at SkyDome / Rogers Center / Rogers Centre (those silly Canadians) a little before two. We bought 9 dollar tickets and promptly sat about 7 rows back from Mr. Nixon in RF. I had decided prior to the game that having no real vested interest in the game, that I would cheer for the Jays out of respect for the home team, and for Trot Nixon, out of undying love. It was the 5th when we arrived. I looked up at the scoreboard and told my cousin, “Hey look, Josh Towers has a no-no”. The next pitch was a line drive for a double, so, sorry Josh. We said hi to Trot. Told him we missed him. Told him to come back to us. Told him he was beautiful. Told him that JD is nothing compared to him. Told him we loved him. You know, the usual hello’s.

The surrounding Blue Jay fans, and I use the term loosely, seemed mildly annoyed. But listen you dumb asses. I stood and clapped after the double. That is what you do when a no-hitter gets broken up. Of course, none of you idiots know that do you? I may have been a little touchy after my interactions with Detroit fans, or maybe Blue Jays fans hate us too. I told one Blue Jays fan to get a life and lose the inferiority complex, and asked another how it felt to be in 2nd place, since I had no idea. And the rest I murdered and buried in the woods near the border.

Anyway, Trot seemed happy to see me (this my imagination talking - but he could def. hear us seeing you could have confused the Dome for a lib). We were glad the Jays won in the bottom of the 9th because we were going to have to hang ourselves from the empty upper deck if we had another extra inning game. After the game, we went and got some dinner and then went back to the hotel, loaded up on Tylenol PM’s and went to bed at 5:30 at night, and got up at 4:30 for the big ride home. We made it from Toronto to Woburn in about 9 and a ½ hours, getting back about 3. All in all, a fantastic time, although the only real downfall of the trip was the actual games.

Next Road Trip: Philly and Baltimore – August 2007

No comments: