Friday, February 23, 2007

RIP Dennis Johnson...

Sad day in Boston sports…

I know very little about the Celtics. I know a lot of the important things, 16 Championships, the retired numbers hanging from the rafters (most of them anyway), Bird, McHale, Parish, Auerbach, victory cigars, Lenny Bias, dead spots, and turning up the heat in the Garden and turning off the hot water in the visitors locker room. I loved Reggie Lewis and even tried to talk my dad into buying me a “35” jersey. That being said, I didn’t know a ton about Dennis Johnson, I knew he was a great player, World Champion, I even knew that he laid in Bird’s steal. When I did my nightly check of ESPN.com and saw, Dennis Johnson: dead at 52, I guess the highest form of flattery would be that when I told my mom, she was legitimately sad. (this is the same woman who asked me if Walter Payton was Peyton Manning’s father before the Super Bowl because she had heard that Peyton Manning’s father played football). The second form of flattery is that neither one of us wanted to be the one to tell my dad. The third, is that Larry Bird, the Legend himself called DJ the greatest player he ever played with. That is good enough for me.

RIP DJ.

No comments: