Tuesday, May 1, 2007

*We all know how I feel about him, but I mean, how great is Tom Brady? Tom restructured his contract so that they could add Randy Moss and still come in under the cap.

*Dan Shaugnessy says that love is blind when it comes to us Boston fans. Here is the thing with this article, he starts off strong, saying that we are blind when it comes to the Patriots acquiring Randy Moss, and that if the Sox had signed Barry Bonds this off season, we would have gotten on the bandwagon, and if the Sox sign Roger Clemens, then he'll go back to being the Rocket we all know and love.

First of all, on Barry, I will never, ever, root for Barry Bonds. It has nothing to do with steriods, because, who really knows who is on and who is off and who has been on the juice. Do I think Bonds cheated? Yes. Am I sure that all my favorite players never did? No. So, I don't hate Barry Bonds because he's a cheater. I hate Barry Bonds because he's a dick.

Dan then says to bring on Terrell Owens. Um, no, because Rodney already says that he would never let T.O. in the locker room. And, whatever Rodney says goes. (which, if anyone can find the Rodney quote about T.O. and wants to put in the comments, please do).

As for Roger, I think we've all accepted the fact that one stat is the most important to Roger, the $$. It was never about being a Yankee for Rog, it was about the $$. Sure he wants to be close to Koby, Kole, Krispy, Knight, Kreme, but, when it comes down to it, $20 mil for a few months work isn't a bad deal. I don't think its about the love of the game for Roger, I think its about a love of the zero's adding up at the end of his bank account statement. That being said, what team out there has a comparable rotation to Schill, Beckett, Dice-K, Rog, and Wake? Um, no one. For Roger, it's about the money, for me, a lowly entry level customer service rep making 30 grand, it's about walking into Yankee Stadium wearing my 2007 World Series shirt. And if Roger is going to get me there, well, I'm that easy. (But I will, under no circumstances, own a Clemens shirt).

As for A-Rod, I personally always really liked him when he was a Mariner and a Ranger. I think that he was stupid to give up the chance to be the greatest SS of all time to be a Yankee. I think it isn't his fault he signed that deal that would cripple any team's payroll not in NY or Boston. I think it would be hard for me to cheer for him. That being said, if Barry ends up hitting 777 and A-Rod can hit 778, I'd take it.

Then there is Bill Laimbeer and Ulf Samuelsson. Now, most of the time I don't pay too much attention to what goes on on Causeway Street, (except Disney on Ice, I love Disney on Ice). There aren't any NHL or NBA teams that I like more than the C's and B's, those sports just aren't quite my thing. But, I know two things. And that is that everytime a WNBA game comes up during a channel check and Bill Laimbeer is coaching, my dad makes a comment not appropriate for others ears, and that Ulf hurt Cam Neeley, and that the name Samuelsson still makes Bruin's fans everywhere cringe, so, to say that they could have suited up for the hometown team and been accepted, is well, bullshit.

And, also Dan, we didn't turn on Johnny, Johnny turned on us. We would have been fine if he signed with any of 29 teams. There's just one that isn't okay, and he knew that and did it anyway. I'm pretty sure I could live pretty well for the rest of my life on the 40 mil the Sox were offering, so, I'm sorry if I'm not oozing with sympathy.

Manny is Manny, you can either get annoyed when he doesn't run out a ground ball, or you can accept .300-35-120 and move on. Sometimes it is better to move on.

We can be negative about Randy and his past transgressions, or, we can trust that Bill and Scott knew what they were doing, and that Tom wouldn't go through the trouble of restructuring his contract for someone that wasn't worth the effort. Personally, I love the idea of Moss and Stallworth lining up on opposite sidelines and a fully healed Malroney in the backfield. Also, I don't agree with the fact that this move solidifies that Troy Brown is gone. Troy can play defense and our defense backs have't been the most durable in years past. If Troy wants to play, Troy will be on the Patriots.

*The Pats also signed a bunch of college undrafted free agents yesterday, outlined in Reiss's blog.

*Chris Carter says Randy will be fine in Foxboro.

*David Brown (who writes from some newspaper called South Coast Today?) has a good response to the media over reacting over the Patriots drafting /signing. (I really liked this one).

*Rob Bradford talked to Papelbon who, poor guy, only makes 400,000 grand this year, talks about his future with in the game. (He will be eligable for arbitration after 2008).

*Tavarez wants Dice-K to teach him how to throw a cut fastball. Edes also has this...

Papelbon's younger brother, Josh Papelbon, was not perfect in April, but he came close. The younger Papelbon, pitching for Single A Greenville in the South Atlantic League, had five saves, and held opponents scoreless in eight of his nine outings. He allowed three earned runs in the one outing he was scored upon, so he has an ERA of 2.61 . . . Sunday was Jacoby Ellsbury's first day off this season. The Portland outfielder has hit safely in a career-high 13 consecutive games, batting .404 (23 for 57). He has reached base in 23 straight contests dating to Aug. 27, 2006. His .455 average (30 for 66) leads all minor leaguers, and he ranks first in the Eastern League with 30 hits, 10 doubles, and a .507 on-base percentage. Ellsbury has started 15 of Portland's 16 games this season.

Think Lester and Josh hung out when he was in Greenville? I'd like to think so. Also, some weekend this summer we should do a little Portland Road Trip, and go shopping in Freeport. (Northface, Coach, and Dooney and Bourke outlet. What more could you possibly want?)

No comments: